Monday 14 January 2008

stop stopping yourself

It was raining and windy, and I was wet and cold.  Still i was determined to press on.
I could have stayed at home and got on with something far more "important". In fact that would have been the easier (and certainly more comfortable option), but i had focused my mind to stop stopping myself.
Ive had an idea in my head for a couple of weeks; An idea that would result in a novel outcome.  The outcome would be interesting but unlikely to change the world, and if i didn't actualize this idea no-one would miss out.  However its an idea that keeps niggling away at me and is demanding my attention and so I am motivated to invest some effort to bring this idea to life.  And so through the wind and rain I was walking determinedly into town to buy a tool to help me create this vision

The behaviours associated with a "deliberately creative" individual are not particularly astonishing.  In fact they have been researched and documented many times over the past 50 years. Show most people this list of behaviours and they nod agreeingly.
Helping people to become more "deliberately creative" is not a question of teaching them a list of instructions, but more a challenge of helping them to stop stopping themselves from exploring, questioning and dreaming what might be.
Breaking old thinking habits is tougher than starting new ones

And so, despite my inner voices telling me that there were more pressing issues to be addressed (coincidently from the comfort of my warm office) I stopped myself from stopping myself and pressed on through one of the many barriers that i am sure i will face in this journey to create my new idea.
What is this idea?.....  more on that later

No comments: