Thursday 10 April 2008

The Sudan - 22

9 days ago I was worrying about coming to this foreign land that i only knew of as troubled through news bulletins on the TV. And i reckon it only took about 5 days to settle in and make my hotel room "home". I rather like it here now, which is why my anxiousness has returned once more as i prepare to leave the now "comfort" of my once "grubby" hotel in Khartoum for the second stage of my asignment. Early tomorrow morning i set off with my colleague from India to Kassala - 8 hours drive due east from Khartoum - on the borders with Ethiopia. And i kind of wished i hadn't sat at dinner tonight with the crazy Australian development worker and listened to his stories of Kassala. I never thought i'd be getting homesick pangs for Khartoum

Our 5 day workshop on strategy building for project work in the eradication of rural poverty in Sudan came to an end today. It was a last minute sprint but we got there. It may be choppy out at sea sometimes on our journey but I always bring the boat into harbor in the end.
It was a great relief and typically a bit deflating once it was all over.
We had some official (I loose track of who all these people are) come and close the event for us and give out certificates of attendance. As "workshop facilitator" i was one of the signees of the certificates. They had printed my name in customary Arabic - and i shall forever now be known a Timothy Corben.
Every one appeared happy with the process and output of the workshop, and i had many invites to go and visit various projects... I'll let them know after ive done Kassala

As ive already mentioned, I haven't had a need for any cash yet and so my bundle of 50 dollar bills have remained in Georges safe (which incidentally stands aside a large picture frame containing 100 smaller works of art and signed by various world artists - it was created and auctioned to raise money for LiveAid and was donated by UNICEF to George and his hotel in recognition of thier contribution to the efforts when LiveAid was sending relief out here. Apparently Bob Geldof stayed here once) So i had to go to George tonight to settle my bill here and change some cash to pay for my accommodation next week;
"oh you dont need to pay now, pay when you return from Kassala next week" (im staying here the night before flying home) "you dont want to be carrying money around with you, change what you need and leave the rest here with us"
Im starting to understand things here - George sorts out everything, no need to question, just trust him. I reckoned i'd need $400 for next week and asked him to change it for me. As he counted out my Sudanese pounds, i simply rewrote the remaining dollar amount on the outside of my envelope and popped it back in his safe. I didnt bother to recount the currency that he handed me - not because it was a half-inch thick wad, but simply because you can trust George. He handed me my passport and the 6 photocopies of my visa and official travel papers that he'd prepared for me (just how many checkpoints have we got to cross to get to this place?). I calmly handed George my wallet complete with my credit cards, he slipped it in the safe and no-one (else) thought this was an unusual scene.

2 comments:

granny.com said...

As always we'll be thinking of you!
Don't forget your sun hat & lotion.
It sounds as if every one should have a George in their lives!
Good luck with the next part

Ps...be thankful you weren't given all your father's names

The Voice of Reason said...

What an experience. Im pleased to hear that all went well and the deligates were pleased. They can now have a go at solving the problems and pass on you good work.
I understand how you feel about leaving Khartoum and your hotel room. I have experienced the same sensation after any time in a strange place. I think its a human reaaction, we have a camp building mentality. Once we feel secure in a place, that's home!
Good luck with next phase. We look forward to hearing about the journey and your establishment of another "home". What are you going to be doing there?
D