Tuesday 10 July 2007

All talk - No walk?

So for all this thinking about my thinking - am i becoming any more innovative? I am sure that I am becoming more conscious of my internal voice (or is it whittering?) asking me
"why do they do this?..."

or "how do they do that?..."

Often its "Wow, thats great, I wish i could...."

or simply "thats interesting"


Certainly i am becoming more in tune with my thinking (hmm thats an interesting expression as if "I" and "my thinking" are 2 seperate entities, 2 seperate beings?? Spooky. which one is control? and which is the real me?) but for all that... is this improving my creativity or innovation behaviour?


Ive just been chatting with a friend who was interested in my new office. I was explaining the construction and the trials and tribulations over the past few months, when he commented on my desk - its just a work space that i threw together from some scrap materials as i was running out of time and money, and needed to get into the office and get working - his comments made me stop and look afresh at my creation.

Hes right, its pretty cool. Its made of some left over office timber and a redundant robin reliant windscreen. it cost me less than 2 pints of beer and took less time to create than the return trip to Ikea. However in the rush of getting it done and the gabble of conversation going on in my head, i kind of missed the fact that innovation and creativity is manefesting itself all around me

As great as it is to get focused on thinking about your thinking, it might be useful sometimes for that thinking to just "SHADUP!" so that we can sit back in peace and recognise some of our creative outputs

No comments: