Thursday 7 June 2007

Fresh Eyes

As i sit here at my kitchen table, i can see from the kitchen through the hall and into our lounge. Ive sat here many times before - most evenings i'll work at my laptop on the kitchen table, and tonight is no different, other than the fact that i need to write something about discovering my creative self.
I cant think what to write. I havent done or seen anything particularly remarkable today.

As i sit here looking across the floor of the kitchen, hall and lounge, I am suddenly struck by the untidyness and quantity of cables. yes, cables. theyre laying everywhere. From where i am, looking in one direction I can see 7 cables (headphones, laptop powerlead, fairy lights, telephone power, telephone wire, portable CD player, phone charger) And when i really look at the scene, they are really really untidy (and im guessing potentially pretty dangerous!)

I know for a fact that these cables and attached items have been where they are right now for weeks, if not months - none of them are new additions to our world. The thing is; Ive never actually noticed them. I guess ive stepped over them, but ive never really seen them.

This sudden realisation raises 2 questions for me
1) what else am i "blind" to? what am i not noticing around me? what opportunities / problems am i not seeing because im simply "used" to them?
2) I wonder what visitors think of our family when they come into our house? With such mess, they must think we're tramps!

Who'd of thought that trying to learn about my creative self would have me telling the wife to do more tidying up? ;-) (joke) (really, im just joking)

No comments: