Friday 15 June 2007

Incubation time

Incubation. I love incubation time me. I think that being comfortable enough to indulge your self in the luxury of incubation time is a sign of one of the highest levels of self awareness.

Imagine walking away from an unsolved problem confident that at some stage a minor miracle will have occured in your head that will lead you to the solution. I see this the ultimate trust in yourself and the universe.

I have just fixed a domestic electical problem that has been casting a dark shadow over my general happieness for over a week now. Im not an electician, but i can lay and connect wire as good as anyone else, so when the consumer panel RCD started to trip whenever i switched anything on in my office, i was confused and deeply disappointed.... i really didnt need the hassle.
I spent a little time trying to get a clearer overview of the problem, and then i walked away from it. I knew i could trust my head to do some unconsious thinking on the challenge (and I also knew that if i stayed with the frustration, my heart might make me do something regretable or dangerous - or maybe both!)
Although the cloud hung over me during the week, i didnt DO anything about the problem, though I did spend a bit of time learning about how an RCD works.
And so today I calmly walked back to the consumer unit in my garage and looked at the challenge again - this time with less emotion, a bit more knowledge, a lot of incubated thoughts and a whole load of fresh eyes. A bit of rewiring and within half an hour all was fixed. Everything in the office now works and the RCD does what its supposed to do.
Sure its a luxury to take time to think (even more so if youre not even thinking about the challenge at hand) but when you can trust yourself to come up with the solution - and it works - this is a very very sweet way to live your life :-)

..... and now i shall go and incubate on something equally important at the pub!

No comments: