Sunday 10 June 2007

How do you eat an elephant?

I have a grand plan. the end result of which is going to be brilliant. So brilliant it will be that sometimes i cant sleep at night just thinking about it. This dream, this vision of a completed project is what drives me, it gets me out of bed while i could be snoozing and it keeps me working through my lunch times and late into the evenings.... its all very exciting.

There are parts of this project which if im honest are a bit dull. they are essential to the completed thing, but they are tasks that really dont float my boat. And ive been avoiding them in preference of far more exciting things.... however, the time came this weekend where i couldn't avoid them any longer; the project cannot be completed without these irritating little tasks being addressed. And so this week end was a weekend to focus on the stuff that i'd been avoiding... and if im truthful, I feel quite fulfilled for completing them

the point is, I guess, that whatever we might be engaged in, there is always going to be a scale of very exciting things to do through to dreadfully dull things that need doing. It took some effort on my behalf, but i had to focus myself on the fact that these seemingly dreary tasks were all essential parts of the bigger picture, without my dream could not come true. with this in mind i settled down to a "one step at a time" mentality and methodically progressed myself through the tedious task list. Taken like this each little task became a little challenge in its own right and a joy to complete and tick off.

so how DO you eat an elephant?
.... one slice at a time :-)

No comments: